This article is a modern day collectible guide to tomorrow’s antiques. Many of today’s collectible items will become tomorrows sort after antiques. They will be just as sought after as many of today’s popular antiques. Here are a few examples of popular antiques today:
- Music Boxes
- Railroad Items
- Maritime Items such as compass, navigation tools and ship parts
- And anything else that is a sought after antique
Here are some collectibles that have a high chance of becoming sought after antiques.
There are many children’s toys out there, some will continue to be popular and sought after. These toys remind us of our childhood and evoke the feeling of nostalgia. These feelings are what drive collectors to capture a piece of their childhood, making these collectibles more valuable over time.
- Pop Figurines by Funko – These are licensed pop culture collectibles, best known for licensed vinyl figurines and bobble-heads.
- Star Wars – Just as the 1970’s Star Wars figurines and merchandise became collectible so will the current franchise. As a defining player in pop culture these items will be sought after as antiques.
- Barbie Dolls – Barbie dolls have been collectible almost since the day they where first manufactured. These iconic dolls and all their fashion-ware, accessories, cars, houses and other items will line the shelves of antique stores in the future just as they do now.
- Lego’s – These are another favorite among collectors already and they will only become more sought after and desired, especially pop culture influences such as:
- Harry Potter
- Star Wars
- Lego Architecture (Eiffel Tower, London Bridge, Statue of Liberty and so on)
- Lego Creator (Space Shuttle Explorer)
- Lego Superhero Sets ( Batman, Avengers, Marvel, etc.)
- Other Toys – Anything that was a big influence. A good example of this is the Harry Potter series.
First Generation Tech
Just as many “tech” items from the past are sought after antiques today, the modern day 1st generation tech will be just as collectible. Some examples of antique tech are phonographs, radios, music boxes, telephones, counting devices, scales, and registers are some of the items that can be classified as antique tech.
Here are some of the items that people will want to get their hands on:
- iPods shuffle
- Amazon Echo
- Google Home
- Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryers
- Game Consoles
- Handheld Game Devices
- First Home Computer and Laptop
- Other Tech – This will be any tech that has had a major impact on society.
Ceramics and Glassware
Ceramics and glassware have been a long time collectible. These are one of the oldest types of items that have been collected. Glassware and ceramic items are some of the oldest items that have been left behind by early civilizations, and give us a good look into the past. A few companies that have stood the test of time are Royal Doulton, Waterford, and Wedgwood. With Royal Doulton having celebrities designing their own lines of dinnerware these are set to become sought after antiques.
Here are some of the Royal Doulton designers to add to your collection now:
- Gordon Ramsey
- Ellen DeGeneres
- Charlene Mullen
- Hemingway Design
One thing to keep in mind, especially with glassware, is that condition and complete collections are very important to the value of the items. Missing items or damaged glassware will devalue the items.
First Edition Modern Day Books
First editions have been a long time favorite of collectors and book lovers. In an age when bookstores are disappearing as we move into a world without physical books, first editions will become more sought after. First editions of books that have made a large impact on society and culture will be collectible and in demand.
- Twilight – Stephenie Meyer
- Harry Potter – J. K. Rowling
- Game of Thrones – George R. R. Martin
- Da Vinci Code – Dan Brown
- Northern Lights – Philip Pullman
- Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins
With books condition is a huge factor in the value of the book. Try to keep your books in the best condition you can, store them in dry climate controlled areas. You can also get special storage boxes to help the book stay in good condition while stored. Direct sunlight in never good for any antique or collectible so try to keep them out of this.
Fashion comes and goes but the desire to collect fashion has always been a favorite. The demand for vintage and retro clothing is at a high with younger generations looking for that perfect vintage jacket or retro pants. The demand of clothing of yesterday does not seem to be a tread that will die out anytime soon.
Here are some high-end fashion designers to collect:
- Michael Kors
- Jimmy Choo
- Christian Louboutin
- Louie Vuitton
- Yves Saint Laurent
- Diane von Fürstenberg
- Anyone that has made a fashion statement that is unforgettable.
In conclusion we can never tell the future and say for sure what will be sought after as antiques, however we can follow the trends. Over the years things that have affected culture, tech, lifestyle, fashion, etc have been sought after as antiques.
Leave a Reply